This website uses cookies to manage authentication, navigation, and other functions. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.

General Dynamics awarded contract for AH-1Z Viper gun turrets for US Navy and Bahrain


General Dynamics was awarded a $7.5 million contract modification for helicopter-mounted gun turrets, the US Defense Department announced.


General Dynamics awarded contract for AH 1Z Viper gun turrets for US Navy and Bahrain A US Marine Corps AH-1Z lands on USS Makin Island in 2010 (Picture source: US Navy)


The company  will build 37 modified A/A49E-7(V4) gun turrets used on AH-1Z "Viper" helicopters:  25 for the U.S. Navy and 12 for the government of Bahrain, the Pentagon announced on May 30.

66% of the funding will come from the Navy, with Bahrain paying the remaining 34% under Foreign Military Sales laws.

The Bell AH-1Z Viper is an American twin-engine attack helicopter, based on the AH-1W SuperCobra, that was developed for the United States Marine Corps as part of the H-1 upgrade program. The AH-1Z features a four-blade, bearingless, composite main rotor system, uprated transmission, and a new target sighting system.

General Dynamics' work will be performed at its facilities in Saco, Maine, and Williston, Vt., with an expected completion date of January 2022