Israel destroys UAVs with airborne laser system

According to i24News, Israel successfully completed its first-ever testing of an airborne, high-power laser defense system that intercepted several Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) at various ranges and flight altitudes, the Israeli Defense Ministry said in a statement on 21 June.

Follow Air Recognition on Google News at this link

Israel destroys UAVs with airborne laser system Airborne high-power laser system tested on June 21, 2021 (Picture source: i24News)

The tests were conducted in coordination with the Directorate of Defense R&D in the Ministry of Defense, Israeli defense electronics company Elbit Systems and the Israeli Air Force, i24News reports. The laser system was installed on lightn aircraft. It intercepted and destroyed all of the UAVs launched throughout the test.

"We believe that the use of a high-power laser to carry out low-cost airborne interception of rockets and hostile unmanned aircraft, closer to their launching areas and away from population centers, offers a significant change in Israel’s defense capabilities," Oren Sabag, general manager of Elbit Systems ISTAR, said.